Sunday 8 May 2011

We Started Daycare This Week

I have about a month until my maternity leave is over and I go back to work, so we started BBJ2's transition to daycare this week.

After much debate on nanny vs daycare centre vs at-home daycare, the boys will be attending a daycare centre (the same one that BBJ1 attended prior to BBJ2's birth), while I am at work.  The daycare is wonderful and I know that both the boys will be happy there, will make friends, learn to socialize, and will learn so much.  It will add about an hour to both ends of my commute, and it will be tough getting all 3 of us fed and ready and out the door, and it is not cheap, but I feel it is the best thing for my boys and therefore will hopefully tough it out.


BBJ1 will be starting daycare the week before I go back into the office, while BBJ2 started this past Wednesday.  The long transition should work well for the little guy and hopefully the dedicated mommy time will help BBJ1.

So far, BBJ2 has been doing o.k.  He only stayed for a couple of hours each day.  The first day he didn't start to cry until BBJ1 and I walked out the door.  On Thursday and Friday, he was crying as soon as I tried to put him down and was wailing at the top of his lungs as we left - heart breaking!  However, he didn't cry the entire time he was there, he did play and let the teachers soothe him, he is already getting used to them.  I feel pretty sure that he is going to adjust quite well.

I was surprised (stupidly) by BBJ1's reaction to BBJ2 going to daycare.  He was just off all 3 days.  On Wednesday, when we were leaving, he realised that BBJ2 wasn't with us and told me that we had to go back to get him, however when it was time to go get BBJ2, he did not want to get him.  On Thursday, BBJ1 did not want to go to the daycare at all, and when we started to head into the subway he revolted and had a temper tantrum on the stairs.  We visited the toddler room (that is where he was when he left daycare to be at home with me  BBJ2), he acted quite shy and was hiding behind my legs while I chatted with his teachers.  On Friday we visited the junior pre-school room (where he will be going when he returns) and he just dove right in, playing with the other children, and totally ignoring me.  He was clingy with me during the 3 days and I had to carry him all over the place because he suddenly couldn't walk.  I think that he will adjust back to daycare without a big problem (fingers crossed), but I think the next 3 weeks might be a challenge.

BBJ2 and I went to the park and for walks and donuts while BBJ1 was at daycare, and that was nice to have some one-on-one time with him, but I missed BBJ1.  He is such a sweet little guy, he makes me (and everyone who has the privilege of knowing him) melt, when he hugs you it is just the sweetest thing.  I'm not looking forward to when I have to miss both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment